Last month in a sewing fervor, I decided I finish my unfinished projects and try to sew down my fabric stash. To get started I dug out the pattern you see above. I had already cut out the fabric and had all the pieces ready to go. As expected, the sewing moved along quickly. Darts, front to back, facing. Everything seemed perfect, then I tried it on. It pulled in all the wrong places. The fabric didn't have the right drape. The color was all wrong. And even though it was far larger than a blouse that I wear regularly, it just seemed too small. Don't believe me? See for yourself. Just don't say that I didn't warn you.
I know. Holy cow. How could things have gone that wrong? Unfortunately, that project put me off sewing for a few weeks, so the unfinished remains unfinished & the stash went remarkably dent free until Friday. Friday morning I got the urge to make another apron. Using a vintage sheet, I came up with this:
Pattern: Roughly the same as the last time, only this time around I really only used the skirt of the original apron as a guide. I used the top edge of the sheet, so that I wouldn't have to hem it. I then used a section of the sheet hem as the waist band and another section for the ties. I made the ties longer and wrapped them around to tie in front.
Fabric: Recycled vintage sheet
Sewing time: One hour (!) -- including cutting the pattern
It was great to get something done this quickly. Just as quickly, it was gone. That afternoon, I took it over to Mr's mom's so she could include it in a group wedding shower gift for a cousin of Mr's. The theme (of the present or maybe of the shower, I don't know because I didn't actually attend the shower) was baking, so I figured an apron worked. I hadn't used that sheet yet because I wasn't sure how the big pattern would work, but I ended up liking it. Lucky for me, I have a lot of it leftover!